ARE YOU A GIRL SCOUT? DO YOU HAVE A FRIEND WITH FOOD ALLERGIES? CHECK OUT THE “BE A PAL™” PATCH!
The FAAN Kids organization has put together a program for friends and loved ones of allergic kids. It is called: Be A Pal™. Girl Scouts who want to take part in the program will receive this specially designed patch.
What are the requirements? Simply download FAAN Kids’ special packet.
On page 5 of the Patch Guide Booklet you will find the rules. Junior Girl Scouts need to do 5 of the following nine requirements:
Read the 20 page booklet. Spend one day reading the labels on every food you eat.
- Plan a camping trip with your group that includes menus for a child with a milk allergy. List all milk-free alternatives.
- Know the difference between a family doctor and an allergist and then make an advertisement for an allergist.
- Pretend you are a school principal and make a plan for kids with food allergies at your pretend school.
- Pretend you are planning a birthday party and one of your friends is allergic to eggs. What will you do?
- Make a poster listing all the common symptoms of an allergic reaction and what you should do if someone has one.
- Talk with a group about things you can do to help a child getting teased because of his or her food allergy.
- Plan a food allergy party and meet with another Girl Scout Troop to share what you learned.
- Find recipes that have ingredient surprises and share them with your group.
Cadette and Senior Girl Scouts must do additional requirements for a patch. There are 20 in all! If your troop is interested in earning the Be A Pal™ Patch, your leader can call the Girl Scout Council of the Nation’s Capital at (800) 523-7898 for more information.
Comments are closed.